Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Keshi announces he will continue as Nigeria's coach

Keshi announces he will continue as Nigeria coach

The Nigeria Football Federation said Tuesday that national coach Stephen Keshi has rescinded his resignation and negotiations continue between the two sides following the team's win at the African Cup of Nations.

Keshi's shock resignation, which he publicly announced on a South African radio station Monday night, served as yet another major embarrassment for the country's football regime, which has been surrounded by allegations of corruption and mismanagement for years.

Keshi announces he will continue as Nigeria's coach after speaking with the President.

"While I have had cause to express my displeasure over some issues that happened in the course of our participation in the AFCON (African Cup of Nations) 2013, which my team won by the grace of God, especially concerning my relationship with the Nigerian Football Federation, I have since had opportunity to discuss the various issues with all concerned.

"I am therefore pleased to say that I have reconsidered my position and have decided to continue with my job.''

Keshi also thanked Nigeria's Sports Minister Bolaji Abdullahi for "his swift and kind intervention.''

Abdullahi did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday from The Associated Press.

0 comments:

Post a Comment